Saturday 29 October 2011

Macbeth's Two Truths Told

Two of the things the witches told me so far have come true.
I’m on my way to becoming king.
This supernatural promise doesn’t seem bad. But it doesn’t feel right in my gut. If it was a bad promise, why am I now more powerful, with more success? Now, I am the Thane of Cawdor. If it was a good promise, why do I want to kill Duncan? Killing Duncan makes my hair stand on end and my heart beat fast inside my ribs. What is going on right now scares me less than what I’m imagining. Even though it is still just a fantasy, the thought of killing him shakes me to my core. I’m lost in thought, and the only thing that matters to me are things that don’t exist.
If it is my fate to become king, maybe I should just wait, and it will happen anyway, without me murdering Duncan.
No matter what comes my way, if it’s going to happen, it will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment